Mexican food is my favorite cuisine. I just love the variety of flavors, so many options to choose from, even for the pickiest of eaters. Over the years I have focused on developing my own style of cooking. One of my favorite meals to make are veggie tacos. These tacos are so tasty even meat eaters will enjoy them.
The key to great food is using the best ingredients available. I try to use as much organic produce as possible, substituting ingredients if I am unable to find what I need.
Taco Ingredients Needed – Serves 4
- 1 purple onion, cut into small chunks
- 2 heads garlic, chop to desired size
- 1/2 (each) orange, red and green bell pepper
- 1 cup broccoli, cut into the smallest pieces possible
- 10 stalks asparagus, trim the ends, then cut into small pieces
Can also add spinach, kale or chard for an extra vitamin boost. In the past I have also used fresh corn when available.
Cut the veggies and set aside. Start by sautéing the ingredient in the order mentioned.
- 1 packet corn tortillas. Can also use flour tortillas if preferred. The tortillas can be heated in the microwave, but I like to heat them on a pan, they taste better and are much more manageable when eating.
- Purple cabbage cut into small pieces. Can also use lettuce if preferred.
I use organic pinto or black canned beans with no salt added. Drain and rinse beans, place on a small pot, add 1/4 cup clean water, bring beans to a boil and then mash. I do not use oil, but you may if you prefer them refried,
Salsas, Guacamole and other Garnishes
I make a couple of salsas for the tacos, salsa fresca, also known as pico de gallo, and salsa verde, both salsas are super easy to make and delicious. Check out my salsa recipes and give it a go, they are easy to make and delicious. Also try making my guacamole recipe, guacamole is easy to make and a tasty addition that can be used as a garnish or eaten with chips and salsa. I eat my tacos without cheese, but my husband likes them with shredded cheese, feel free to add cheese if you wish.
I hope you try making the tacos, let me know what you think in the comments section below.
Thank you for reading!