Immigration Advocacy

Migrant Crisis US/Mexican Border – Volunteer Trip, Day 1

December 17, 2018

Following is a journal recount of my experience in Tijuana, Mexico, where I volunteered serving migrants seeking asylum in the United States.

Sunday, December 16, 2018

11:40 am

I have landed in Dan Diego, California. Currently at the airport waiting for the rest of the volunteers in our delegation to arrive. Feeling incredibly privileged to be a part of a group that came together to volunteer with the migrant relief effort at the US/Mexican border.

3:00 pm

All volunteers have arrived, there are seven of us. We picked up a rental van,  exchanged currency and are now heading to Costco to pick up basic supplies. One of the volunteers bought socks and underwear with money donated by friends. Basic medical supplies were also purchased by the doctors in the group.

6:30 pm

Over dinner we were able to get a status update from our group leader, Isabel. I have been assigned to help teach a basic literacy class on Tuesday.

With the exception of Isabel, Paula, and Peggy, none of us had met or worked together before. I find it fascinating that our passion for basic human rights brought us together.

I am blown away by the years of professional experience the women have so willingly volunteered to share. We have a surgeon, clinical psychologist, youth organizer, physician, educator and the Director of the Florida Immigration Coalition, in our group.

9:00 pm

We crossed into Tijuana, Mexico at 9:00 pm. Crossing the border was a surreal experience for me. It was 33 years ago that I was sitting in the back seat with my sisters and little brother, as we crossed into the United States and into a new life. A life of opportunity and the American dream. The decision my mother made, to leave Mexico and bring us to the United States changed our life. I sat in the back of the van thinking about that day, this time  I was going back to where my own migrant story started. I am scared, but hoping to be of assistance with the relief effort.

You Might Also Like

• Sílvia Timoteo December 17, 2018 at 10:59 am

I am so proud of you Maricela and even more proud to call you my sister.

• Ana Sosa December 17, 2018 at 6:15 pm

0h Wow , you are by far one of the most amazing human beings. I pray you and that brave group of beautiful people are protected by our Lord’s Angel’s and that all you plan to do for the rights of those migrants are a great success. God Bless you Maricela!!

• Laura sosa December 20, 2018 at 3:36 am

so proud of you prima! This is a blessing!

• Peggy Mustelier December 21, 2018 at 3:12 am

Beyond proud to know you Maricella!!!

• Maricela December 22, 2018 at 3:31 am

I am fortunate to have met you! 🙂

• Jack December 22, 2018 at 3:09 am

There is certainly a great deal to know about this subject.
    I like all the points you have made. It’s perfect time to make some plans for the future and it
    is time to be happy. I have learn this put up and if
    I could I desire to recommend you some attention-grabbing things or
    advice. Maybe you can write next articles
    referring to this article. I want to learn even more things approximately
    it! I’ve been surfing on-line greater than 3 hours these days, but
    I never found any attention-grabbing article like yours.
    It is lovely worth sufficient for me. In my opinion, if all web owners and bloggers made
    good content as you probably did, the net will
    probably be a lot more helpful than ever before. http://cspan.org/

• Maricela December 22, 2018 at 3:28 am

Thank you for reading and taking the time to comment.

• John Davis December 26, 2018 at 4:06 pm

Maricela glad your doing ok you are in my thoughts and prayers. Hope you stay safe and are fruitful in your indevers down there looking forward to updates my Sweet friend!

• Maricela December 27, 2018 at 1:26 am

Thank you for your support, John! Nice to hear from you!

• sushi by 7-11 January 21, 2019 at 1:13 pm

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand.
    It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me.
    I’m looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get
    the hang of it!

• Maricela January 21, 2019 at 2:25 pm

Thank you for tour support!